What makes your world go round?

I went to a gig last week and thoroughly enjoyed myself! I found myself, both before and since, being a little coy about who I went to see. It's almost like it's a dirty little secret but I'm not ashamed of the fact that I really enjoy Iron Maiden, it's more that I wear an ill-fitting mask of moderate behaviour and attitude that saying the name "Iron Maiden" seems to jar with!

Anyway, over the last few days I have been boring people silly with the fact that I had a great time. One of my stock answers has been that whether you like their music or not, you must see them perform. Technical ability, energy, passion and intensity. Their age to one side, you have to admire the performance on it's own merits.

It occurred to me during one of the latest iterations that actually, these are my main causes for excitement in any field- technical execution, energy, passions and intensity. It's been a relatively consistent theme for me. Interview question to a younger version of your correspondent, dateline 1993:

"If you could meet anybody, who would you pick?" Being naive and unprepared for this question I went with my gut - "Peter Winterbottom" quoth I, "for his work-rate, fearlessness and sheer dogged determination - I want to know what makes him tick."

OK, so not the the most imaginative interview answer in the world but the logic remains constant. The traits that I prize remain steadfast. Technical execution, energy, passion and intensity. For the most part they are things I lack, which must be why I prize them so.

One of the them you can learn and work on. The others? These come from within and harnessed they are the keys to every locked door in mankind's path. They can be dampened by other people but they can only be extinguished by ourselves. Other people can add fuel to the fires of your energy, passion and intensity but without your spark their offering is just dead wood.

So, put aside your preconceptions once in a while and try to enjoy what lies at the heart of many of our species' greatest accomplishments in every field.

Doubt me? It's fine, I could just be some nutty closet metal-head but ponder, if you will, a world without technical execution, energy, passion and intensity. Think about a toddler or young child doing something, playing or whatever. Technical issues to one side, what will you see on display? Energy and a laser-focus on what they are doing. It's clearly within us but at some point we learn to put it aside. Pity!

Oh well, I'm going to plug my headphones in and relive the concert, I've been feeding off the experience and it still puts a smile on my face. Whatever you do, find some level on which to enjoy it! Life is too short not too... but that's a whole new post!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Comments

Popular Posts

Competition without competing

Burpees Anybody?

Fear, Strength and Burpees (aka Fear and loathing in Wiltshire)

Review and Apology

100 day burpee ladder...the conclusion